Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Because I'm sick of R, R (and R)

I promised myself that although I wouldn't shut my eyes if i came across more RR to-and-fro (should we make that RRR now?), I would at least not ever blog about it again unless it was something seriously worthwhile.

I broke my promise and Michael Heller made me do it. Now to be fair, it's a bit unfair to say that this hasn't been going both ways because it has. The difference is that one side (PK, JBL etc.) has been substantive. They've focused on content, on causation and on concept...

...which (I may have got the chronology wrong)...led to a longg letter from Reinhart to Krugman, a sort of dismissive, lazy and im-tired-of-arguing-with-walls response and then....a severely ungracious piece on Project Syndicate by Michael Heller that reeks of being stuck in a corner and throwing jabs into thin air.

Dean Baker's retort includes a gem or two:

"This is the sort of piece that should really have the general public thinking about defunding economics programs everywhere"

"Anyhow, if Heller can read Krugman's latest column and declare R&R the winner, he must also believe that George Foreman defeated Muhammed Ali back in Rumble in the Jungle back in 1975. Such is the state of the economics profession."

WHY DOESN'T THIS END?!

No comments:

Post a Comment